Monday 23 March 2015

WWF Themes from the Early 2000's

Ever since reviewing Fully Loaded 2000, I've been pretty addicted to the WWF in the early 2000. Most recently watching the excellent SummerSlam from the same year. Which was most famous for hosting the first ever TLC match. But the card also contains a good three-way main event for the WWF Championship between The Rock, Kurt Angle and Triple H. And a hardcore title bout involving Shane McMahon which is always fun and involves an insane bump by Shane O'Mac.

Watching events like this allows me to relive some of the great moments that got me into wrestling. Everything just seems "right", from the energetic crowds to the gimmicky characters. One thing that shouldn't be overlooked is the theme music. They typify the era and sum up the characters perfectly. Here's five of the best:

Triple H - "My Time"
I mentioned this theme when I reviewed Fully Loaded. It reminds me of the original Smackdown game on PlayStation. Say what you like about Triple H but he's had some epic theme tunes. This is just one of many. What stands out in this era is the opening. All the songs have that cool opening. Coupled with some intriguing lyrics "Yo Jimmy, hit me with that Triple H", this is a classic.

Chris Jericho - "Break the Walls Down"
When Chris Jericho arrived in the WWF he did exactly what his entrance music said, he broke the walls down. The countdown added to his arrival and gimmick. The video is a little plain with shots of nightlife and such but the music added to Jericho's rock n' roll character.
 
Chris Benoit - "Shooter"
A theme that had no lyrics but it didn't need too. It was what Benoit was all about. He wasn't going to go toe-to-toe on the mic with The Rock like Jericho. He was all about the wrestling. It was fitting that his entrance theme just focused on the music. His theme was later re-done by Our Lady Peace and entitled "Whatever" with lyrics which remains one of my favourite wrestling tunes. 
 

The Undertaker - "Rollin"
The Undertaker's gimmick change from deadman to biker was a huge shift for the longest serving roster member. Who would have guessed it would have worked so well? 'Taker didn't debut under his new gimmick with this theme. But when he did, everybody loved it. All thanks to Limp Bizkit.
 

Maven - "Tattoo"
An odd one but an awesome one. Possibly my favourite tune. It sums up Maven's underdog character perfectly. It was written by Mercy Drive, the dudes behind another of my favourite wrestling tunes, Randy Orton's "Burn My Light". I was a Maven mark and I have to attribute a lot of that to his theme music.
 
Do you agree with my choices? Do you prefer a bit of Too Cool? What would be your picks?@marcusandberg



No comments:

Post a Comment